The Association aims to meet local Sheltered and Extra Care Housing needs by offering rented accommodation to older people, based on assessed need and the suitability of the accommodation and services that Gatesbield is able to offer to meet the needs of the applicant.
New tenants are expected to be completely independent, which means in the simplest terms that they should be able to:
- Manage their own financial affairs (or have help)
- Keep their flat clean (or have help)
- Manage their personal care (or have help)
- Cope with their laundry (or have help)
- Manage medication without aid or confusion (or have help)
Tenants are expected to furnish their own flat, which is to be kept in good decorative order at their own expense.
Two sponsors are required to signify their willingness to accept responsibility for the welfare of the tenant. In particular, if the tenant loses their independence to a significant degree, and if the Board of Management so desires, the sponsors will be required to help them to find more suitable accommodation elsewhere.
Any tenancy may be terminated by the tenant giving four weeks notice in writing. On termination, any redecoration and dilapidation other than fair wear and tear will be the responsibility of the outgoing tenant or their personal representative.
These flats were built as retirement homes for the active elderly. Applicants should be in that category, and be in need of this specific type of accommodation. The following will be taken into account when selecting a tenant:
- The suitability of their present accommodation
- Social Need - loneliness, isolation, etc
- Degree of independence and the capacity to look after themselves
- The ability to live amicably and constructively in a community
Rents are fixed annually by the Association. The Wardening and most communal services such as the maintenance of the grounds, weekly transport to the local supermarket, the cleaning of common spaces and the external windows, use of the laundry, external lighting and all insurances except contents insurance for the flats are included.
Applying to become a Tenant
If you are interested in becoming a Tenant at Gatesbield, please contact the Scheme Manager in the first instance.